Sunday, August 28, 2005

Passwords and formidable challenges

The password for today is:
The premise of the password is the secret code that let's you into something, something special, not always a place, it could be a space, it could be a voice journal, or even your vehicle. But the use of the password that was fun for me as a child, inspired by AliBaba and the 40 Thieves, "open sesame," and further propagated in my brain through my virtual memory of the childhood game Relievio, and some faint memory of the Three Stooges, just isn't as fun anymore.

The use of the password has gone from a childhood amusement, to an overused, but necessary chore and a formidable challenge. It is a challenge because there are so many of them to remember in so many areas of living. I presently use, I think, 24 passwords; this will soon be changed.

I've tried to cut some of them out, but my jobs, my credit cards, my banks, my jounals, and some other techno devices, and my brain refuses to let me have the same password all the time.

For example, at my job, where I use one computer I must change my password monthly, no one can use the same password for 4 months, or the computer will inform you that you cannot use that password because you used it previously. It will even tell you where and when you used it. So, I have collected 4 passwords for use on the one computer I use at my first job. But those passwords are for my accessibility, what about the other "secret" passwords I know that I am not supposed to know because they belong to some other employee(s), well I have a collection of them, 8 to be precise. So I have 12 passwords from my first job.

At my second job, where I also use computers, there are passwords too. These passwords are community passwords that everyone who works in the office should know. They never change or rotate, however there are 6 passwords in that office that I need to keep in my password queue.

This brings me to my personal life, where I have over the years acquired numerous passwords. Currently I use 6 passwords for various reasons, forced to change my password because the company is upgrading, forced to change my password because I am not allowed to keep that password any longer ..., I've changed my password because I forgot the password I changed it to when I was originally required to change the password because that password was no long acceptable.

I don't want to change my password, I am tired of having to know all these passwords and what password goes with what. But, I see no solution, only more passwords.
Now what about pin numbers and user names?
Currently, I have 3 distinct personalities and oh yeah one assigned K number!

No comments: