Wednesday, November 30, 2005

New York New York


Truly Scrumptious

Johnny, my grandson, 7, curious, observant, smart, dislikes school, but he doesn’t dislike learning. He dislikes the regiment, and finds his imaginative mind much more entertaining than school lessons. He loves music, likes to sing, and likes to watch TV. He hates to color but in his words, “loves to draw.” There is a difference, he will let you know.

This summer, I asked him,”Would you like to go to New York City, would you like to go see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?
He asked, “What’s that Grammy?”
I explained that “it” is a musical on Broadway and more questions came easily.
What’s Broadway? Where is New York? Why is it far away? What is a musical? What is Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?

“Oh, yes Grammy, I would like to go.” he finally said. So we went.

The night before we watched a movie and cuddled up on the sofa, but sleep came lightly, or no sleep, so it seemed, we were both too excited, and woke up easily at 5:30. Papa dropped us at South Station where a twisting line 100 people strong waited to get on the bus. Would we make it on the first bus out?

The driver looked at our papers, and at Johnny, “Laddie, where is your ID? I suppose you’re not old enough? Do we have to put him with the luggage?” he asked another driver. Johnny tightened his grip around my already held hand and leaned into me. I laughed a bit as we entered the bus.
“He was just teasing me?” Johnny said looking back, I laughed and agreed.
We found the last, free, two- seater, at the very back of the bus near the bathroom. Arggh I thought, I hope it doesn’t smell, and it didn’t seem to.
Johnny settled in near the window and gazed out of it, and then at me, “Is it going to be a long ride Grammy?”
About 4 hours, like when we went by plane to visit Aunt Joni.
Humm, but then we were flying, here we are driving, and it takes the same time. Are we going to go down hills and up hills and around hills?
Yes, I would say so, but not big hills.
I hate hills in buses, he said just as we turned onto the long hill that lead the bus to the Mass Pike. Grammy that was fun. Johnny looked at the buildings as we passed and in the stir, we talked a bit, but then he relaxed and rested against me and fell asleep.

We were in Connecticut when he woke up.
Are we there yet? Not yet? Just how much longer? I have to go potty. Want to try?
Sure, he bravely went to the bathroom door, lock it from the inside, and said, “Don’t touch that thing over head or else you have a problem.” he giggled, and I heard his feet slip on the floor, his voice saying…..oh no oh no, ---- metal seat warned not to touch or sit on,------ and the bus rumbling along, oh no oh no I can’t, I heard him say again as he came out the door holding onto his pants. I can’t Grammy, it’s too bumpity. I’ll wait till we get there…. And he did.

Soon we came to the Bronx and the bridges and Johnny perked up. How soon Grammy? Please say “We’re here!” when we get there. But I was just as dazed as him, and soon we were in the terminal with out my cheer. Grammy you didn’t say “We’re here!” I laughed; well we’re here, hooray! And we both grinned.

We found the rest rooms and had lunch in the bus station; it was much easier to make our plans that way.
Where to first? Let’s find the theatre and walk from there. So we did.
Times Square on this Sunday Morning was the quietest I’ve ever found it to be. There were fewer people, much fewer than I ever remembered, but it was only 10:30 am. Of course.
We found the theatre and then walked up to the middle of the square. Johnny noticed and pointed out the neon signs immediately. Look! Grammy Look! He shouted as he watched them lighten and go dark or change picture from picture. We walked up to the Hershey’s store where he picked out a few things he was interested in. He also helped the man in the store make buckets of Hershey’s treats with a machine. What time are you open till? 10 pm Mam. Johnny and I decided to return after the show. From there we walked back to the Toys R Us. Look, Grammy, look, he shouted as we walked by the Ferris wheel.
Want to go on that?
Nope, Grammy I do not.
I’ll go with you.
Nope, I don’t like heights.
We continued walking ….WOW look Grammy! Johnny shouted, look King Kong made out of Lego’s and the Statue of Liberty made of out Lego’s, too. And on and on Johnny’s eyes took in the magic, and his voice let out his glee. Certainly, he has been to other toy stores, he has been to Disneyland, he has seen all kinds of displays, but today, that day, right then, right there, all was new, and wonderful to him, and he was seeing it all for himself, by himself without me pointing a thing out, he was exploring and enjoying and for me, and actually for quite a few passersby, and a few clerks in the store, Johnny had that certain magic that wonder and innocence creates, the magic that joy and simplicity can spray, and that most grown ups, at least the ones I like, love to hear and see and be touched by.

Johnny played for a bit, then we walked to the theatre for his first Broadway Musical, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, that was perfect for a child of 7.
Perfect for the settings, bright bold, and amicable to children’s eyes. The windmill looked like a playspace with beds on lofted stilts,
The music was fun and playful, and especially nice with melodies from flutes from time to time.
You could watch the conductor on the TV if you wanted to --- Johnny did a few times. The show was perfect for him because the children in it were about his size,
It was perfect because the Child Catcher was very very scary, and the stage setting so dramatic that Johnny remarked, “That doesn’t look real, it looks like it is on TV.” And Johnny shivered in his seat as the Child Catcher caught the children because he was in a disguise.
The show was perfect for the live puppies that ran across the stage, and the underground tunnel that made Johnny afraid, and the guns that shot confetti that floated down upon us, but most of all, it was perfect for the vision of Chitty, the magical car that could float and fly and Johnny could not figure out how, for there were no strings to make it fly. Johnny clapped, and cheered, and then sighed as we went outside.

This could have been the down of the day, the show was over, it was a little gloomy, but it wasn’t, for when we began to walk up the street, Santa Claus and an Elf were suddenly there. Hello, Santa Claus, Johnny said.
Well Hello Young Man, Santa said and they shook hands. The Elf gave Johnny a candy cane and we kept walking.
Grammy, Santa wasn’t there before, where did he come from?
I don’t know, maybe magic, I said.
Yes, Johnny agreed as he grinned ear to ear.
When we got to Times Square we stopped to take his picture, and passersby stopped too to let the shot be done. Everyone was extremely nice.
We went back to the Toys R Us where the Ferris wheel was still too daunting for him and Johnny picked out Buckaroo, a game small enough that he could carry himself. We went back to the Hershey’s store where he bought a big huge Hershey’s Kiss and some big Hershey’s bars and then we walked and talked. Tickets were available for David Letterman, but he was too young. Cabs were there to jump into, but he wanted to walk, and by the time we got to Central Park the sun had set. It was just too dark to go exploring. Another time, Johnny, I said, and he agreed. We took the A train back to 42nd street, had our dinner at the same place we had our brunch, and then found ourselves in a 200 person line waiting for a bus back to Boston. Johnny was excited to go home, but then again sad to leave, When are we coming back Grammy?
In the spring Johnny, I’ll bring you here for an over night.
Ok, Grammy, that sounds good.


When we came from the bus station at home, Papa was waiting for us.
Johnny ran to his car, Papa, Papa, we’re back!
My husband, said, “You’re smiling, you look so happy, I love that.”
I said, “I had a wonderful day with my grandson.”And from the back seat up piped little Johnny’s voice, “I had a wonderful day, too”
He stayed over that night, and he went to the school the next day. And actually I haven’t seen him since, but I see his handsome face in the picture and in my mind, and I know I’ll be seeing him soon. I wonder if or what tune he has playing in his head? I’ll have to ask him, because I can’t get Truly Scrumptious out of mine! And yes, it actually was a Truly Scrumptious time.

No comments: